Friday, February 14, 2014

Book Review: The Broken Cycle by A. Bertram Chandler

Title: The Broken Cycle (John Grimes: Survey Service #4)
Author: A. Bertram Chandler Goodreads | Website
Published: 1975
Publisher: Robert Hale Ltd
Source: Borrowed from public library





Yeah, I use ruler as a bookmark.

Space adventures, time travel to another universe, space battles, aliens - these are about the only things that I liked about the book. Other than that, nope. It was weird, odd, crackpot and yucky ideas all bundled in a package.

I'm not going to explain the last sentence in the above paragraph. Just know that this book is not for children. Explicit content: 90% of the book. End of story.

I had no idea my local library has this kind of book. I must have wandered at the wrong section ahahaha. I picked this book up because I wanted to try the Blind Library and I ended up with an oddball read. I just picked it up at random and obviously I had not a slightest idea what it's all about.

It was hard for me to understand the situation for the first few pages because well it's book #4 in the series (which I didn't know about until I looked this up in Goodreads, which was after I finished reading). I had all sorts of questions: are they humans? Or some sorts of galactic species? What is Federation Survey Service? Lizard Class? Serpent Class? It wasn't until Chapter 4 that I finally knew that the main characters are humans. It took me some time to get my bearings right.

There were so many space lingo, like abbreviations, that are left unexplained. Helluva confusing. But I kind of understand this, because it's the fourth book after all, all explanations must have been done in the previous books (or in the first book, at least).

I didn't like the main character, John. All he ever thinks of is women. A bit creepy, John.

Aaanyway, it's about a space-soldier/astronaut, John Grimes and space-policewoman, Una-something (can't remember her name) who team up to catch some gang of space-pirates and ended up traveled to another universe, caught between alien wars, met up weird evangelical alien-robots and stranded at some weird planets.

I'm wavering between 1 and 2 stars because there are elements that I like - space adventures, aliens etc - and there are things that are not exactly up my alley. I will just go with 1/5 stars.

May peace be upon you :)