Saturday, January 4, 2014

Book Review: Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter #1)
Author: J. K. Rowling Website | Goodreads
Published: June 1997 (First published on January 1997)
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Source: Personal library aka bought (couldn't remember from which bookstore)
Buy: Malaysian online bookstores: MPH | Times Bookstore | Bookurve | Kinokuniya 
       US-based bookstores: The Book Depository | Amazon


Albus Dumbledore at the back.



The first sentence: Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.


Almost everyone, by now, probably know this book and what it is all about. The following lines may induce an 'I've-heard-that-before-comma-I've-read-about-that-in-other-reviews-comma-I've-watched-the-movies-so-I-basically-know-everything about-it' disorder, so hmm proceed with care. I'm not responsible for any symptoms including but not limited to drowsiness, lethargy, muscle weakness and emotional distress. My point is, there isn't much left to be talking about that hasn't been said already, so my review can sound boring and I don't want to be charged for causing harm to anyone xD

This is a re-read for the fourth time? Or was it fifth? Sixth time? I couldn't remember, but I'm pretty sure I've read it for three times, at least. I loved it the same, even not more.

I loved the foods mentioned in the book. I've no idea what they tasted like, because all I eat is rice. Haha. No lah. Most of the foods are unheard of (for me) because well, Rowling and I happened to live in different continents. I googled the foods mentioned in this book because I honestly don't know how they looked like and I need every visual aid I can to imagine the start-of-the-term banquet, Halloween, Christmas and end of the year feasts. They turned out to be quite mouth-watering. Yorkshire pudding, treacle tart, to name a few. Yums!

Yorkshire pudding (on the right, muffin-like with a hole, but not quite (I failed at description xD))
served with beef roast + mashed potatoes + vegies + gravy =  traditional British Sunday roast. *Drools*
Picture courtesy of Wikipedia.

Treacle tart. Yummeh!
Credit: BBC's Food Recipe

The magical foods were awesome. They sound yucky at times though. Chocolate frog, Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans etc.

Harry Potter thinks he is just a normal boy who lives a miserable life with his aunt, uncle and a fat cousin. Turned out he was wrong. He is a wizard. And so he went to the prestigious magical school in England, Hogwarts. And met friends and foes. And made magical adventures in the wizarding world.

I watched the movie first before reading the book back when I was 13, if I'm not mistaken. I'm glad the movie pretty much stayed true to the book. It was this movie that got me into reading at the time though the habit died shortly afterwards ;P

I loved Ron. And Rupert. I liked him the best. He's funny and I loved the quick retorts she always had with Hermione. It made the 13 and 24 years old me giggled. I loved Gred and Forge as well.

Updated (means that this paragraph is written not-on-the-same-day I posted this review): And why didn't I say anything about the awesomeness of the school? I always always dream of getting the admission letter to Hogwarts although I'm not really in the suitable age to do some high-schooling again. Daydreaming is my middle name.

5/5 stars.

May peace be upon you.