Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Book Review: DUKE: Inspector Mislan and The DUKExpressway Murders by Rozlan Mohd Noor

Title: DUKE: Inspector Mislan and The DUKExpressway Murders
Author: Rozlan Mohd Noor
Published: July 2011
Publisher: Silverfish Books
Source: Bought from Popular bookstore
Buy: Malaysian online bookstores: MPH | Kinokuniya | Silverfish Books (it's 50% off until end of Dec.)



     

















Creepy.






This is the first English book that I’ve read written by a Malay writer. It’s rare to find one. Inspector Mislan had to solve a murder case that had happened at an expressway in Kuala Lumpur (or highway, as Malaysian called it). It’s a locked room (or locked car, to be more precise) kind of murder. Where the corpses were found in a locked car (thank you, Captain Obvious); no break ins and outs. 

There were so many hurdles to solve the case as many and many government faces interrupted the investigation. I know, a typical Malaysian murder case when a prominent government figure is involved. We get that a lot in Malaysia.

It keeps me guessing but along the way I kind of figured it out. But, there were some of his deductions that I can't quite understand. I don't know, I'm not a detective but his deductions sometimes made me scream "Wait what? Would you clarify that further, please?" I just couldn't get some of his deductions. 

The feel is different from Sherlock (curly hair Sherlock with modern gadgets version, BBC's TV series, guys), I get almost all of Sherlock's deduction and I was "Ohh ahh, I get it now." The feel isn't there. But then again, BBC's Sherlock is well, a TV series, whereby you get the visual aids, the editing, the musics, the awesome actors to play everything well so you get the feel. To compare the two is a bit off, Farhana. I know right.

I learnt a lot about the investigative procedure in Malaysia, polices' lingo and ranks.

I enjoyed reading the book, it was a quick read. The only thing I disliked was the way Inspector Mislan is portrayed.  I think the need of a faithless guy is unnecessary. 

Anyway, I give this book 3/5 stars.

May peace be upon you :)